Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Week 10 - Living Diversity



  1. Diversity surrounding me - what is in my immediate environment?
  2. Cell Biology - review the links
  3. Spike's Gallery

1.
Aside from the thousands of bacteria, micro-creatures (ie. dust-mites), and fungal spores that float and fly in invisible clouds around my body, there is a lively diversity in my own yard up in the Berkeley Hills.

We have a great diversity of bird species, insects, plants, and trees. I saw a deer recently and I imagine, being so close to Tilden park, that a variety of small mammals live around me.

There is some sort of mildew in the basement, among the billions of other spores and bacteria that probably live in the dirt and decaying concrete foundation.

There is a lovely diversity of plant-tree life in our garden and we are about to exponentially add to this diversity by planting vegetables, flowers, and herbs.




2.

What's under a microscope? A Psychedelic wonderland of formidable fractalized matter and energy folding into forms.

This image is of the amino acid methionine.

I really like this website. It is super rich with images/ information and is organized quite well.

They have microscopic images of everything from beer to cells to birthstones. Diamonds look beautiful up closerest!



3.
Spike's Gallery - Aquatic Life

"Spike Walker, a well known and award winning British photomicrographer, has kindly suggested that Micscape can share a selection of images from his extensive portfolio."

"Spike comments on the images: Most are from scans of 35 mm transparencies but some are ex-Coolpix 4500/5000 or D70. All have been spruced up, to some extent, in Photoshop 7. The low-power Rheinberg shots were mostly done with a Zeiss Tessovar, otherwise with Luminars on an Ultraphot IIIB or a Leica MZ 95 stereo. The rest are ex-Zetopan (all the anoptral contrast), Ultraphot III or Photomic. III."

Gotta love it - The multi-dimensional perspectives provided by cameras. These photos are amazing. We have found alien creatures within our own planet. Why seek anywhere else?

As a visual artist and a naturalist, I have view-gasms with this type of imagery. The Natural World is a Miracle within a miracle within a miracle...

These also remind me of Ernst Haeckel's biographical illustrations from the turn of the last century.

2 comments:

Blogzilla said...

Hi Brown Rabbit,
Your environment sounds quite peaceful! 60 miles away, but a completely different environment! I love chickens too...when I was in 4-H I was 2x state poultry champion. Not me exactly, but my birds. I had 100 chickens and they all had names and came when I called them. This is the truth, I swear!
See you Wednesday!
Lise

Lisa B said...

Micheal -

I loved the Haeckel illustrations. I'm glad that you commented on my blog; it led me back to yours to see if you had links to Haeckel. Sure enough, you came through. Haeckel was quite the artist!

Your thinking is very evolved. Your ability to draw from other sources to create analogies is really impressive. Your blog is an artistic intellectual adventure and a joy to read.

Lisa